In the treatment of migraine uses two approaches. The first is aimed at stopping the attack and alleviating the condition of the patient, the second approach is aimed at preventing relapse.
An anesthetic for arresting an attack is prescribed by a neuropathologist depending on the intensity of their manifestations and duration. With migraines of medium and weak form of gravity with an attack duration of no more than two days, analgesics are prescribed:
Ibuprofen, as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, is prescribed to relieve the condition during an attack; Paracetamol is not recommended if the patient has liver disease or kidney failure; Aspirin is contraindicated in cases of coagulation disorders and digestive tract diseases.
Codeine, phenobarbital, paracetamol, metamizole sodium are part of the combined preparations for migraine and have many contraindications. If uncontrolled use can provoke a drug pain syndrome.
Auxiliary drugs with psychotropic action as domperidone and chlorpromazine can alleviate attacks.
The most modern preparations against migraine were synthesized 20 years ago, they are derivatives of serotonin and have a complex effect:
- The trigeminal nerve; a decrease in sensitivity, an anesthetic effect;
- Cerebral vessels; reduces the pulsation of the vessels of the brain, which provokes pain without affecting other vessels;
- Receptors and painful neuropeptides; reduce the number of neuropeptides thereby eliminating pain.
- To facilitate the patient’s condition helps the pressure chamber, hot or cold bath, individually for each case.
How to quickly remove a migraine attack?
In case of an acute migraine attack, it is recommended:
- Combination of pain relievers, antiemetic and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs allows to stop the attack in 40% of cases.
- Zolmitriptan; in a dosage of 2.5 mg, has a high rate of analgesic effect.
- Sumatriptan; works four hours after admission, effectively works in 80% of cases. In severe attacks accompanied by vomiting, is administered subcutaneously. For a rapid onset of the effect is applied in the form of a spray.
- Naratriptan at a dosage of 2.5 mg reduces the likelihood of recurrence and has few side effects.